Oprah Winfrey, Ellen DeGeneres, Brad Pitt, Matthew McConaughey – these household names (and countless others) all have backgrounds in communications. It is no coincidence that numerous creative, talented personalities chose to venture into communications. If you have similar aspirations, coupled with an imaginative mind, perhaps a career in communications is for you!
This programme, fully accredited by the Malaysian Qualifying Agency (MQA), hones and nurtures your process of communication to prepare you for the creative industry.
- Hone and nurture your communication process.
- Prepare yourself to be future-ready by basing assessments on industry-standard, real-world client projects.
- Gain advance standing into Year 2 of the BA (Hons) Media, Culture and Communication or for broadcasting track students, the BA (Hons) Film Production programmes from University of Sunderland.
- Gain advance standing into the BA (Hons) Creative Film, Television and Digital Media Production offered by the University of Northampton.
- Also obtain a Diploma from the International Advertising Association (IAA), New York.
With the Diploma in Mass Communication, you will gain entry into:
- BA (Hons) TV & Film Production (top-up), University of Gloucestershire
- BA (Hons) Mass Communication, University of Sunderland
- BA (Hons) Media, Culture and Communication, University of Sunderland
- BA (Hons) Mass Communications, University of Hertfordshire
- BA (Hons) Business and Public Relation, Liverpool John Moores
- BA (Hons) Media, Culture & Communication, Liverpool John Moores
- BA (Hons) English, Media and Cultural Studies, Liverpool John Moores
- BA (Hons) Journalism / International Journalism, Liverpool John Moores
- BA (Hons) Media and Communication, Birmingham City University
- BA (Hons) Media Production with Film & Screen Studies, University of Northampton
- BA(Hons) Journalism and Public Relations, University of the West of England
- BA(Hons) Media and Journalism, University of the West of England
- BA (Hons) International Business Communication, University of the West of England
- BA (Hons) Broadcast Media Production, Teeside University
- BA (Hons) Media and Communications, Teeside University
- BA (Hons) Public Relations and Digital Communication, Teeside University
- BA (Hons) Journalism, Teeside University
- BA (Hons) Media, Sheffield Hallam University
- BA (Hons) Public Relations and Media, Sheffield Hallam University
- BA (Hons) Journalism, Sheffield Hallam University
- BA (Hons) Media & Public Relations, University of Bedfordshire
- BA(Hons) Media and Communication, University of Derby
- BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, University of Essex
- BA (Hons) Communication and Digital Culture, University of Essex
- BA (Hons) Media, Culture & Journalism, University of South Wales
- Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations, University of Canberra
- Bachelor of Communication in Journalism, University of Canberra
- Bachelor of Communication, University of Sunshine Coast
- Bachelor of Public Relation and Communication, Griffith University
- Bachelor of Communication Studies (Public Relations)
- Bachelor of Communication Studies (Journalism)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in TV, Radio and New Media, IT Tralee University
- Bachelor of Social Science in Journalism, Dankook University
- Bachelor of Social Science in Media Contents, Dankook University
- Bachelor of Social Science in Advertising and PR, Dankook University
- BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, University of Essex
- BA (Hons) Communication & Digital Culture, University of Essex
About IACT College
A pioneer in creative communications education as early as the 1970, IACT has since established itself as the nations premier creative communication’s specialist. We do not just teach creativity, we actively inspire it as a trusted educator in the creative industry- with our students receiving over 90 prestigious industry awards over the past 5 years. We are also the only college in Malaysia to receive accreditation from the International Advertising Association in New York, and continue to focus on providing industry ready education with programmes designed and developed to train our students for industry expectations.
How Do I Get In?
- 3 credits in SPM or IGCSE;
- 3Bs in UEC; OR
- IACT College Certificate in Communication Studies; OR
- Other qualifications recognised by the Ministry of Education Malaysia
English Language Proficiency
- SPM - Grade C
- UEC - B6
- IELTS - Band 5.0
- IGCSE 1st Language - E
- IGCSE 2nd Language - D
* Trial examinations/ forecast results are accepted
Hello there, welcome to Course Advisor!
Need advice? Talk to us
Principles of Advertising
In this module, you will cover basic advertising concepts and study the roles that advertisers, advertising agencies, the media and other related professional bodies play in the industry, as well as how the industry works to reach its target audience.
Communication English 102
This subject aims to help you express your opinions and views in English and to further improve reading comprehension as well as writing academic essays confidently.
Communication English 103
This subject aims to further help you express your opinions and views in English and to further improve reading comprehension as well as writing academic essays confidently.
This module will expose you to the skills needed for effective presentations. It also encourages you to think critically about your audience and your purpose of presenting while planning for and delivering a presentation.
Public relations is an aspect of media relations applicable to media outlets in the industry. You will study brand building, marketing principles and techniques that can be used to promote film, print, events and so on. Its over-arching usefulness makes public relations a critical subject within the programme.
Media and Culture
You will explore a range of concepts, approaches and media forms including music, television, film and social media.
You will be introduced to the most basic design softwares used today and taught to handle simple and basic computer design functions and applications.
This module invites you to change your creative mindset by helping you understand creativity, what it takes to be creative and how to be a creative thinker. It also helps in honing your analytical skills.
Introduction to Sociology
This module will expose you to the discipline of sociology, its theories and its research methods. It discusses the relationships between individual cultures and society, and how social and cultural forces influence personal experiences and group behaviours.
This module encourages reflection upon the relationship between mass communication and our society. You will be taught the various communication elements and processes in order to better understand media messages and the impact of media content on audience attitudes and behaviour.
Principles of Journalism
This module takes you through the fundamental process of news writing – information gathering, interviewing skills, media ethics and publication - at an introductory level.
Photography and Digital Imaging
This module provides you with a basic introduction to photography and digital imaging. It covers a range of related topics from display design to basic knowledge on how to use a DSLR.
This is an advanced level, post-internship module, where you will be exposed to writing for real clients and expected to showcase your maturity and ability to produce publish-ready articles. You will be made to understand the business, cultural and technological importance of media convergence for future employment.
Media Ethics and Regulations
Personal ethics play an important role in maintaining the health and stability of the media industry and society at large, thus making this module central to the programme. Rules and regulations in Malaysia are taught to help you identify some of the industry's legal boundaries and to ensure you are well-equipped with the relevant do's and dont's within the media diaspora.
This module is a key component for developing critical thinking. It teaches you the different techniques that can be utilised for analysing media products and discerning their meanings and perspectives. It is also a critical module in raising your awareness on the importance of multiple perspectives.
Publicity and Media Relations
This module provides you with an understanding of the media’s role in publicity and promotions. It also allows you to engage with the media.
This module introduces you to the procedures and techniques of video production. You will learn the technical practices and creative skills required to produce a video through practical workshops, supervised exercises, screenings and discussions.
Writing for Different Media
This introductory module teaches you a broad range of relevant writing techniques used in the media industry today. Both fiction and non-fiction writing methods will be explored.
This module introduces you to the importance of research in today’s world, and helps you think critically about society.
In-Company Practical Training
You will learn the development of strategies which will extend your learning beyond educational institutions. This module is structured to provide an opportunity for students to critically reflect on the relationship between their academic studies and advertising, marketing and communication practices.
This module focuses on the cultivation of ideas and problem-solving strategies for the moving image. It will combine idea generation, designing, conceptualising, directing, editing and sound, culminating in the final project. It encourages you to think out-of-the-box.
New Media Studies
You will be taught critical concepts and hands-on skills related to ‘new social media’. We will consider the significant shifts of new media in the reading, viewing and listening experiences while remaining mindful of new media’s connections with the older media.
PR Campaign Strategies
This module provides you with a step-by-step checklist of planning and implementing PR campaigns. It emphasises on building socially responsible relations. You will also be taught the essential elements and cutting-edge tools needed to execute events that form part of a campaign.
Choose any 2 modules below:
In this elective module, you will study the internal and external aspects of corporate communication - employees, communities, finances and government PR.
Corporate Crisis Management
You will develop an understanding of corporate crisis anticipation, methods of response and the general future of crisis management and technologies used.
This is an advanced module designed to challenge those of you who are keen on print journalism. It focuses on feature writing and news reporting. You will be tested on your journalistic acumen and ability to source and write credible articles that are publish ready. You will be required to conduct independent work, interviews, and pitching story ideas to publishers.
Fundamentals of Publishing
You will hone the basic desktop publishing skills needed to publish a book or a periodical according to industry and international printing standards. You will also learn the fundamentals of designing an aesthetically-pleasing newspaper, magazine or book cover. This module offers an insight into the ever-changing role of a print publisher.
This module looks at the creative process and basic disciplines of creativity in video production for broadcast. You will be exposed to the use of creative thinking in planning a production, the creative process and its applications, creative approaches and styles, as well as the art direction in production.
Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 1 or Pengajian Malaysia 2
Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 1 teaches international students the basics of the Malay language to help in their daily communication. You will also learn to read, write and understand simple sentences and paragraphs in Malay. Pengajian Malaysia 2 discusses history and politics, the Constitution, administrative systems and structures, community and unity, nation-building and religious beliefs. You will foster a strong sense of national identity and patriotism
Study of Religions
This module aims to develop your understanding of living religions of the world with emphasis on fundamental doctrines and beliefs, historical development, institutions, teachings and also practices.
Bahasa Kebangsaan A or Problem Solving and Decision Making
Bahasa Kebangsaan A helps in grasping the national language to effectively communicate, and express thoughts clearly and creatively through verbal and written communication. Problem Solving And Decision Making introduces you to the concepts and strategies in problem solving and decision making. Students are expected to apply these concepts and processes to a variety of problems and scenarios within the creative communications industry.
Serving Our Society (S.O.S.)
S.O.S is a student-run society that supports both local and international community work, as well as strengthens the bond between students and staff through community activities.
You can also earn a microcredential from:
University of Amsterdam
- Introduction to Communication Science
- Media Ethics & Governance
University of Colorado Boulder
- Principles of Public Relations
- The Nuts and Bolts of Public Relations
- Fandom, Social Media and Authenticity in the Digital Age
Michigan State University
- Become a Journalist: Report the News!
- Creative Writing
University of California, Irvine
- Project Management & Other Tools for Career Development
- Content Strategy for Professionals
The State University of New York
- Disaster, Crisis, and Emergency Preparedness Communication
University of Michigan
- Good with Words: Writing and Editing
Diploma in Marketing & Advertising
As one of the most established advertising diplomas in the country, you will be groomed to become a versatile professional in the creative industry, specialising in advertising and marketing communications.
Diploma in Broadcasting & Film
You will learn the art and science that go into broadcasting and filmmaking. This course is ideal if you wish to kick-start a career in the creative field of broadcasting, digital media production, and film production.
Diploma in Graphic Design
This course will give you the opportunity to develop your skills in creating top-notch artwork and designs for real-life industry projects with some of the country’s leading brands and agencies.